Tuesday, October 12, 2010

That Old Black Magic and Me

Coffee is that magical black liquidy stuff that I cannot live without at the beginning of each of my days.  If I skip a day and something happens and I miss coffee, a headache (caffeine deprivation) will ensue and generally, I will just feel like I’m in a big slump all day.  This morning, as I sit here with my first cup of coffee, I’m thinking all about the feelings that go with it…and the memories that are attached to it…and the friendships involved with it.
A couple of weeks ago, I took my daughter to IU to visit with her sister who is an attending freshman.  Although it was ‘their weekend’ to spend time together, it was fine as I had some plans of my own which involved meeting IU college friends from about 30 years ago.  The two drinks of choice in a college town involve alcohol and caffeine…this has been true for many, many years!  (One will sometimes follow the other!)   Anyway, on Saturday morning…I found myself with my friend walking around a farmer’s market in downtown Bloomington.  It was a very cool morning and was raining.  There was much hustle and bustle of people carrying their market bags and buying fresh produce.   Oh… for someone like me, who loves to cook…it was heaven!   The most beautiful garden varieties of vegetables and fruits were to be found in this holy place!  As we walked, enjoying the sights and sounds of the morning we could not help but to wander into the most heavenly  scent of coffee…drifting through  the produce, people, breads, and flowers.  Mmmmmm… and voila!  There it was: The Bloomington Coffee Roaster’s booth…soooo many kinds, who could possibly choose??  Of course, two cups were ordered and we went about the task to try to choose some to take home.  One kind caught my eye…it was named ‘Good Day’.  Hmmmm…well, today (despite the rain) was a good day!  I was with a good friend, we were having a great time, and we would be enjoying the day at an IU football game with the rest of our group.  Then I looked at the description of the ‘Good Day’ coffee.  “Coffee for your Conscience”.  What does THAT mean??
According to Wikipedia, the definition of Conscience is “an aptitude, faculty, intuition, or judgment of the intellect that distinguishes right from wrong.”  So I ask, what the heck does this have to do with coffee?  Is coffee a moral drink???  Will I be judged for drinking it??  Perhaps it could mean that many, many important decisions from people in all walks of life…poor, rich, students, business people, mothers, presidents, priests, etc.. …..that perhaps everyone has pondered important stuff over a simple cup of Joe.  Also more than that, it is a very social drink…and is often shared in all types of situations.  Celebratory events, receptions, parties, business meetings, family gatherings, friendships, and holidays…just to name a few.  If you go into a coffee shop, look at the tables…look at the people.  What are they talking about??  Maybe the day, maybe upcoming events, or maybe some life changing decisions….who knows.  All of this over coffee.  Hmmmm…maybe it IS magical.  
As I type this…I’m trying to remember when I first put this rich, black (get me up and going) liquid to my lips.  And yes, I like it black…nothing to ruin the great flavor that God gave to the almighty coffee bean.  I’m pretty sure I began drinking it when I entered college at Ball State University. And I am pretty sure I did not appreciate it much at all and that the only reason why I ‘threw it down’ was in order to stay up late to study.  Any crappy brand would have sufficed…and honestly, I did not care much at all as long as it helped me keep my eyeballs open.  It’s a drink you don’t just start drinking and say….Oh my!!!  This tastes soooo good!!!!  It’s an adult drink that you learn to like and appreciate…and you either acquire a taste for it or you don’t.  As the years went on, I learned to love coffee and I think it may love me too.
Through the years, I think I have owned about  4, 0865 coffee makers…all of them broke or gave out on me.  Not that it was my fault; I just think they couldn’t take the demand!  Ok…well, maybe one was my fault when I left it on and it burned up…!   My coffee maker of choice currently is one that I actually bought at the local Good Will Store.  It’s an incredible retro-vintage stainless steel electric perk.    (I say that smiling because everything I own or used to own is now called ‘retro-vintage’!)  This thing is like the Timex watch that ‘keeps on ticking’.  It, for sure, keeps on perking no matter what and I am very sure it will be my faithful friend until I can no longer drink coffee…but that day will never come!  And, oh yes..I went through all the stages of a coinsurer of  coffee….flavored, Italian, French, morning blends, dark, med, light…drip, strained, perked, whole beans, ground beans, hot or cold.   Now-a-days, coffee is a cool trend…and people order drinks that have at least 5 or 6 syllables like.. Mochalotatomatos,  double triple espressos (I don’t recommend this..Unless you have about 23 books that you need to speed read), frappacinos, something, something something…etc.  (No, I don’t go to Starbucks often and if I do, I get a plain coffee for fear of the unknown..Ha!).   It is a cool place to go…to the coffee place.  I wonder if people go there because they really WANT coffee or because they want to look like they want coffee??  Hmmmm.  And they have all these big, comfy chairs and lounges…and internet usage so perhaps you need coffee just to stay awake while there.   They also offer cute snackie thingies like little Italian biscuits, fancy crackers and cookies, and muffins that could feed a family of four.  You have to wonder what the point is to coffee with all of this.  Again…Hmmmm…
 
Well, back to the ‘Good Day’ coffee.  I love this…not only is it wonderful and flavorful coffee, but I have the fun memory of picking it out with my dear friend and laughing about the names and labels of the coffees that day.  And I get to enjoy it every day and think of my friend and know that my day will be great, if only for that one single memory.  (And by the way, I have no guilty conscience about drinking it at all!)

No comments:

Post a Comment